quarta-feira, setembro 26, 2007

 
Me and Miss Mandible

"Miss Mandible wants to make love to me but she hesitates because I am officially a child; I am, according to the records, according to the gradebook on her desk, according to the card index in the principal's office, eleven years old. There is a misconception here, one that I haven't quite managed to get cleared up yet. I am in fact thirty-five, I've been in the Army, I am six feet one, I have hair in the appropriate places, my voice is a baritone, I know very well what to do with Miss Mandible if she ever makes up her mind.

In the meantime we are studying common fractions. I could, of course, answer all the questions, or at least most of them (there are things I don't remember). But I prefer to sit in this too-small seat with the desktop cramping my thighs and examine the life around me. There are thirty-two in the class, which is launched every morning with the pledge of allegiance to the flag. My own allegiance, at the moment, is divided between Miss Mandible and Sue Ann Brownly, who sits across the aisle from me all day long and is, like Miss Mandible, a fool for love. Of the two I prefer, today, Sue Ann; although between eleven and eleven and a half (she refuses to reveal her exact age) she is clearly a woman, with a woman's disguised aggression and a woman's peculiar contradictions. Strangely neither she nor any of the other children seem to see any incongruity in my presence here."

Donald Barthelme

Comments:
lembra-me [e pergunte o porquê] este início: "alguém certamente havia caluniado josef k., pois uma manhã ele foi detido sem ter feito mal algum". ambos, são perseguidos por uma "fatalidade" que não podemos entender senão pelo intricado motivo da existência.
 
d-girl

concordo avec toi. mas parece mais com ferdydurke, do gombrowics. nao leu? entao para de-decupar e jah pro livro!

"Depois, já semidesperto, tive a impressão de que meu corpo não era totalmente homogêneo e que algumas partes ainda eram as de um garoto, que a cabeça zombava da coxa enquanto a coxa ridicularizava a cabeça..."

ps: isso tah na pagina 2 do livro em questao.
 
x, muita calma nessa hora. concordo com você em concordamento, parecimento e de-decupamento.

li parcialmente "cosmos" no colegial, a partir de uma tradução que uma amiga de infância, descendente de polonês-bielo-russo, fez. adorei de pronto. lembro até hoje de uma passagem:

"cantarolou trálálá e, concentrado, começou a fazer bolinhas de miolo de pão; arrumava-as em fileiras sobre a toalha e observava..."

mas, fiquei curiosa com este. vou ler e volto para comentar, tá?

a pergunta que não quer calar: quedê?
 
I know a certain Miss Mandible. Uhhhh...what a big mandible!
 
x-boy, que tal una atualizacionita? beijos!
 
Postar um comentário

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?